Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I deal with my boyfriends cusin that wants to move in with us?

My boyfriend's cousin just lost his job and wants to live at our place until he finds a job.





It wouldn't be such a big deal if his cousin wasn't jealous of the attention I get from my boyfriend whenever he hangs out with us. He deals with this jealousy by pretending he is death whenever I say something, ignoring me, or making little faces at anything I will say.





Last summer we went on a car trip with him. Threw out the trip he kept wining about being sick or tired and he was acting like a diva. We had to pay for his hotel room and a few activities for him because he claimed he was poor. Then he spent 400$ on souvenir gifts for his friends... Since I didn't know him back then I stayed polite and didn't say anything about it. I was very friendly towards him but he kept ignoring me until my boyfriend asked him to have a minimum of respect towards me.





When we got back home he went to my boyfriends brother's place and invented stories about me being so rude during the trip. Obviously I heard about it and when I confronted him about it he acted as if he wasn't aware of that rumor. I obviously don't believe him.





My Boyfriend believes him because he see's him like his little brother (eventhough he is in his 40s). I think he appreciates the way he looks up to him.How do I deal with my boyfriends cusin that wants to move in with us?
I think that you know already that this cannot possibly be allowed to happen,him moving in with you both. You are not responsible for this man who does nothing but cause trouble. This will, as you already know, destroy your relationship as your partner will be forced to choose between you each time there is a disagreement or an argument and of course again as you already know that this is almost as inevitable as the sun rising every morning. This situation is going to be living hell for you, as well as your partner who however will expect you to behave yourself, whilst his cousin willl, as the guest, be allowed to get away with murder.





You can only do one of two things


(a) you can tell your partner that if his cousin comes to stay you will have to move out


(b) you can proactively find somewhere else for him to live, eg with another friend, or in a hostel, or other family friend. What about your boyfriend's brother's place?





You already know as well that it may take months and months for this man to find a new job, in a post recession economy, and that therefore this could go on for months by which time your relationship with your partner will be utterly destroyed. You will be completely unable to get this man out of your house as by then he will have taken root, and established his life there, and talked your partner around to letting him stay in a buddy-buddy way. You must make your stand IMMEDIATELY as otherwise you will have no chance at all once he moves in.How do I deal with my boyfriends cusin that wants to move in with us?
yes i know same with me. Tell your bf about the problem.Say you want some privacy.
He is family and he will be living with you until he gets a job. Set up the ground rules.


First. from his unemployment benefit he pays minimum room and board.


2. He is responsible for cleaning his room and doing his own laundry.


3. No one runs errands for him.


4. He will share in cleaning communal areas, living spaces, bathroom amd kitchen.


5. He will be courteous to all household members, especially you.


5. Surly behavior means immediate eviction.


6. No pets.


7. His friends will not be hanging out in your place.


8. He contributes to the food and beverage budget.





Good luck, tough love.

No comments:

Post a Comment